Del is a life-long Tennessean raised in Lawrenceburg, graduated from the University of Tennessee. He worked at Montgomery Bell State Park and Paris Landing State Park before returning to school to get a Masters Degree in Business and wrote a major paper on privatizing a State Park: Pros and Cons. He returned to State Parks as Director of State Parks/Assistant Commissioner in the mid 90’s.
Specific goals and objectives he tried to pursue while Director:
- Advance and expand many programs in all the Parks related to history, culture, environmental and outdoor experiences (especially for kids).
- Develop and design transparent and professional job responsibilities in selecting and promoting, to include commensurate pay for Park Rangers, Interpretive Specialist and other park personnel.
- Involve Park Managers directly in the selection, pay, and promotion of personnel.
- Match individual Park Managers, Rangers, and Interpretive Specialist and their specific interests, education, and inclinations to the specific characteristics of the individual parks.
- Create and implement management training programs to involve Park Mangers and Rangers in budgeting and the accountability of decision-making.
- Wean politics away from operational, personnel, and decisions.